Thursday, August 14, 2014

THAT ONE QUESTION


“What are you doing after high-school?” The dreaded question. And if you’re in highschool (or remember senior year), don’t you feel like you hear that a lot? While all of my friends were talking about college and career paths, I would say, “I am planning on being a full time wedding photographer!” and I usually got one of three reactions. 

“Oh my gosh that is incredible! Wow, so no school? That’s awesome. Best of luck.” 

“Oh... wow, that’s interesting. So, no school? Are you sure?”  

“How much money does that make?”  

People are genuinely curious when you say that you are going into a position in the creative industry. It’s not necessarily safe. It has risks (like anything really) but when it is mostly gray areas, people get nervous. I get nervous. What if something goes wrong and I have nothing to fall back on? What if no one hires me? What if this photography thing backfires on me? College seems safer! College seems like a good solid plan, should I have done that? 

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11. 
“The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” Proverbs 16:9. 
“Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you...” Isaiah 43:4. 

Here’s the thing about uncertainty and the “dreaded after high-school question.” You don’t need to worry. Yes. Easier said that done. But think about it, if you are thinking of going into the creative industry, I assume that you have passions and giftings of creative nature. Whether it be photography, music, writing, or anything else, God has placed those inside of you for a reason. I can’t stress this enough. Those things are not mistakes, your loves and giftings are for a reason. God is working out a beautiful plan inside of you and all you need to do is keep walking forward, trusting Him for every step. He has drawn the boundary lines in pleasant places. He desires good for you. 

I used to get really nervous when people doubted me. I started doubting myself. Or ultimately, doubting God’s plan for my life. I really did feel called to be a photographer! I felt so passionate about it, but one conversation could make me question whether it was really what I was supposed to do. Be confident. Rest assured that when you align yourself with Jesus, He shows you what your unique + beautiful path is. He loves doing that. He loves you. 

P.S. I just want to clarify, I am not anti-college. I definitely definitely think that it is for some people. If you want to be a nurse, I don’t recommend shadowing a doctor and then saying you’re ready. ;) Again, everyone has a unique + beautiful path and that includes EVERYBODY. Not just those going into something “creative.” xoxo

---

I believe that everyone has an important story to tell, no matter where you are in your life. If you have a story to tell or a journey to share, please let me know! I would love to feature as many people as I can on this blog. :) Just email me at unfoldingpassions(at)gmail(dot)com or click on the "Submit" button in the sidebar for more details! 

Also, I need your help with sharing this blog + message! If you feel inclined to (and I would appreciate it greatly!) share the link to this blog on social media. All of my links are in the sidebar. Feel free to tag me in it so that I can see it! Thank you thank you thank you!! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like hearing things like this. I don't really plan on going to college either and I'm getting a little worn out from the "Where are you going to college?" questions. And I've barely started my senior year. Things like this post help. :)

Catherine Grace said...

yes ! I have being getting this a lot lately !

jennaclarek said...

Yes yes yes. I'm seriously so proud of you for not doing the college thing (well, not that you didn't go to college, but because you're pursuing your photography right off the bat)

Riley Pleasants said...

Ellie, I stumbled on your blog through your photography blog (and your pictures are lovely, by the way) and I really needed this encouragement. Thank you! I do graphic design and theatre, and it's nice to hear that things will work out and I don't need to worry.
xxRiley

Post a Comment

Thanks for being a part of this community!